Sunday, August 23, 2015

Parliamentary Shenanigans

It is uncouth to put your hands in your pockets during parliamentary debate in the UK. This is from a transcript of the House of Commons, 12/19/1994:

Mr. Robathan: Has my right hon. Friend seen a report- [Interruption.] I am sorry, Madam Speaker, I cannot hear what is being shrieked at me by Opposition Members

Madam Speaker: I can hear very well. Other hon. Members are suggesting that the hon. Gentleman removes his hands from his pockets when he stands to ask a question.

Mr. Robathan: Thank you for your assistance, Madam Speaker. Should I require any advice on deportment or sartorial elegance I shall come to you because you are an example to us all, but I will not take advice from the scruffy yobbos on the Labour Benches.

Madam Speaker: I have no pockets in which to put my hands. That is why my deportment is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment